Monday, September 10, 2018

DIY Gandalf Costume

Hey, guys! Here's another costume tutorial, this one for Gandalf the Grey. I will warn you that it's not entirely handmade, and my only contribution was the hat, but I still thought you would like me to share. My mother mostly created it. I like to think that it's from the book because I adore the books and detest the movies, but it looks like the movie-version of Gandalf, so if you are doing the book-version, just change the colors (for instance, I think that the hat is supposed to be blue). It's super easy to make, especially if you don't sew. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!


Materials:

-Gray pants and shirt
-Gray beard
Gray fabric for the cloak
-Gray or blue acrylic paint
-Cardboard
-Newspaper or some other thin paper
-Scissors
-Tape (preferrable duct tape or electric tape)
-Supplies for paper mache glue (flour, water and glue)
-A staff, which could be something recyled, a smoothed-out stick or whatever you have on hand.

Step 1.

Cut out your cloak in a rectangle. Hem the edges, or if your like me, just hot glue the edges or leave them as they are. Gather the top into a hood-form and sew the front so that it stays in a hood-shape.

Step 2. 

Create a paper mache hat by using this tutorial, only make a cone-like form instead of the cylinder, of course.

Step 3. 

Buy the clothing materials if you haven't yet or don't have gray clothes and a beard on hand. Don't forget to find a staff. You're done! It's as simple as that!







Hopefully you found this handy! Throughout September and October I hope to also share Galadriel, Lucy Pevensie, Charity, Moana, Toad, and Belle costume tutorials, among many others!

-Lauryn
Share this PostPin ThisEmail This