Thursday, May 26, 2016

DIY Camera Pinata

For my cousin's Movie Pool Party, I made a pastel camera pinata. Here is the tutorial, as promised! You must excuse my awful photography because I was really low on time. This project is simple but time-consuming, so make sure you have time to let it dry overnight or longer.



You will need:
-newspaper
-paper mache mix
-thin cardboard boxes (I used two Caprisun boxes and three protein bar boxes)
-streamers
-Elmer's glue
-scissors
-strong tape (I used electric tape)

1. First of all, tape your two biggest boxes together to make one giant box.

2. Cut and tape two smaller boxes into 3D circles, and make the third into a strange, 3D triangle shape.

3. Tape the circular boxes beside each other on top of your giant box. Tape the triangular one to the right side.

4. Rip the newspaper into strips, dip them into the paper mache mix, and paper mache the whole thing.


5. When that dries (which can take a looong time, so you'll probably need to let it sit over night if not longer, like I mentioned above), get your streamers and fold a long piece several times. Next, snip at the bottom to make a fringe and unfold it. Repeat this process as you go.


6. Squirt glue to the top of a piece of streamer with fringe and glue it onto the bottom of your box. Continue this process, adding the second piece above the first, and the next piece above the second, and so on, working your way up.


7. When your pinata is completely covered except for the very bottom, let it dry. When dry, stuff your goodies into the boxes (if there's no opening, just cut a three-sided slit and tape it shut when you're done). Paper mache it and cover it with streamers like you did for the rest of the pinata.


8. Admire your masterpiece. You're finished! (Sorry, I didn't do the bottom of my pinata since I didn't fill it, so you can see a sliver of cardboard in the photos below). Have fun!








Share this PostPin ThisEmail This