Thursday, March 12, 2020

DIY Jack Costume (From "Mary Poppins Returns")




Hello, everyone! Today I am going to share a quick tutorial for one of the costumes I made last year for Halloween, which was Jack from "Mary Poppins Returns". This costume is super easy to make. 

My brother got the hat online, although I'm sure it could be paper-mached. I found the coat and pants at a thrift store, although I got quite a few before I found one that fit right, and I had to sew the pants smaller. I found a red vest at a thrift store with a zipper, cut the zipper out, hemmed it, cut button holes with scissors or an exacto knife, and sewed buttons on. For the scarf, I found a short red scarf or bandana type of thing at a thrift store and painted the black swirls on  with acrylic paint. The white undershirt was also from the thrift store. Because we live in Georgia and Jack wears so many layers, I think I had to modify the shirt by making it short-sleeved or something so that he wouldn't die of heat. Basically, the costume was just a lot of searching and modifying, which in this case was cheaper than making it from scratch. Fancy suits, plain white shirts with collars and vests are all very common at thrift stores, it's just a matter of knowing which ones carry them for cheap. If you live in Georgia, definitely try the Cleveland Community Thrift Store. If I remember correctly, that's where all of my costume parts for this came from. 
That's all there is to it! 






I hope you enjoyed this random post and find it a useful resource in the future. I look foward to sharing more tutorials and events soon!

-Lauryn
Share this PostPin ThisEmail This