Sunday, June 26, 2022

"Reach for the Stars" End of the Year Class Party + Student Gift Ideas

 Hello! Today I would like to share an end of the year class party I had (actually, three with the same decorations) with a "Reach for the Stars" theme in gold and neutral colors. As end of the year gifts, I wrote a special note to each student pointing out their gifts and what I appreciated about teaching them attached to favor bags. In the elementary bags, I included Lego figures (although they were not the Lego brand to be honest) or animal toys, bouncy balls, and multi-colored heart crayons made by a friend who sells them locally as a fundraiser to allow children to get involved in theater/theater camps and are not able to financially. In my middle school bags, I included cars, bouncy balls, and flashlight pencil keychains. In my high school bags, I included flashlight pencil keychains, bouncy balls, and gel ink pens (I think), which I don't have pictures of. The favors with the race cars had tags that read "This year raced by! I hope you have a great summer!" My drama student gifts had tags related to the pens that read "You are truly ink-credible and noteworthy. I hope you have a great summer!" Here are the free pintables:




For the elementary art class parties, we not only played fun improv games, but also a few art history-themed games I made up, listed below:

How Fast Can You Gogh?

This is just a team race where teams of two split up and line up on opposite sides of the gym (making two lines). In the middle were two large Van Gogh prints. Partner #1 would start when the race began, touch a Van Gogh work, then tag their partner. Partner #2 would run as soon as they were tagged, touch a Van Gogh print, and race to the line that the first partner started on. The first team to finish wins.

Art Analysis or Dare

This game was actually played in class, not for a party, but it seemed successful at making art analysis and discussion more fun. How this Truth or Dare variation works is I printed and cut into strips art critique prompts, such as "How is the element of shape being used?" "Does this picture have a good color harmony? Why or why not?" I would throw a bouncy ball to a student, ask "Analysis or Dare?" If they chose analysis, they would draw one of those strips from a paper bag and discuss the picture I put at the front of the room or handed them in response to the prompt. If they chose dare, I would give them a dare such as "Make up a dance that expresses this picture." Or "Sing a song about this picture." or "Create a poem on the spot about this work." Either way they are analyzing the work. 

Art Apples to Apples

This game was also not used for the parties but in class to analyze art and gain some art history appreciation. I used my Disney Apples to Apples winning/adjective cards and my classroom art cards (each card had a large work from an art movement). I handed out all of the adjective cards that read things like 'frightening' or 'beautiful', giving each student around four. I would have them pass an artwork around. Then they would all choose what they thought their most fitting card was, place them at the judge's desk (we chose a student to be the judge each time), and the judge would choose a card. Whoever's card got chosen would get the art print card. The one with the most art cards won a prize at the end. 

I made up several other games I'm quite sure, but I do not remember them at the moment, so I might add to this list at a later time. 












I hope this comes in handy this upcoming school year for teachers looking for affordable student gifts, end of the year party ideas, or art teachers searching for more activities!


-Lauryn

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This